Football Giants' Bradshaw in boot

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
The banged-up New York Giants have another injury to worry about.

With 10 players already on their injury report, coach Tom Coughlin found a new name on the list Wednesday: backup halfback Ahmad Bradshaw, who rushed for 104 yards in New York's 24-0 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this past weekend.

Bradshaw walked to practice wearing a boot on his right foot to protect sprains to his ankle and foot. He did not work out.

Neither Coughlin nor Bradshaw seemed concerned whether the backup to starter Brandon Jacobs would play Sunday when the Giants travel to Kansas City.

It's an old college injury, Bradshaw said, remembering his initial injury -- a high ankle sprain -- came on a toss play during his freshman year at Marshall.

"You know what, I have played through a lot of pain during college, when I first injured it," Bradshaw said. "I have just been able to do that ever since. It always hurts during the game. There is a lot of pounding in the game, somebody might fall on it a different way."

Bradshaw said the injury forced him to miss two games as a freshman, but he has dealt with the pain ever since.

"I do a lot of cutting and I am always on the edge of my feet and it is a lingering thing for a running back," said Bradshaw, adding the pain he was feeling Wednesday was nothing compared to what he felt in college.

He said the boot takes pressure off the foot and ankle.

While the Giants remain optimistic Bradshaw will play, the reality is that most players who have missed practice this season have not played on Sundays.

If that's the case, free agent Gartrell Johnson would back up Jacobs. He was signed a week into the season after Danny Ware dislocated his elbow on the opening kickoff in the season opener.

"I think I'm ready," said Johnson, who got six carries for 23 yards against the Bucs. "Getting some good game time last week was good for me. I need to get my timing down, so I have a lot to improve on."

Johnson still has a lot of learn. He was awarded on waivers after being cut by San Diego hours before the Chargers' Monday night season opener. He flew cross-country and has been taking a crash course on the Giants' offense for past two weeks.

"That's just the name of the game, that's just the NFL," said the rookie from Colorado State, who is still living in a hotel because he hasn't had the time to find an apartment. "You just never know. You always have to be prepared."

Jacobs will obviously get the bulk of the carries. He had a season-high 26 carries last week for 92 yards and a touchdown on a day the Giants rushed for 226 yards on 49 attempts.

Quarterback Eli Manning echoed the approach the Giants take to all injuries: someone goes down, the next guy steps up.

"We know whoever is back there, they will know what to do," Manning said, adding if they don't, he'll tell them. "We will be on the same page. Guys will step up for us and make plays.

Guard Rich Seubert said Johnson was impressive against the Bucs.

"He ran the ball hard," Seubert said. "It was exciting to see him out there. I think he will fit in fine, if we need him."

Besides Bradshaw and Ware, defensive linemen Chris Canty and Justin Tuck did not practice Wednesday. Tuck, who played eight plays against Tampa, said his left shoulder is improving and he expects to play more in Kansas City.

Cornerbacks Aaron Ross and Kevin Dockery, receivers Hakeem Nicks and Domenik Hixon and linebacker Clint Sintim were limited in practice, while offensive linemen Kareem McKenzie and Adam Koets participated fully.

Giants' Bradshaw back

New York Giants halfback Ahmad Bradshaw returned to practice Friday and will likely play in Sunday's game at Kansas City, coach Tom Coughlin said.

But four other injured players -- defensive lineman Chris Canty, cornerback Aaron Ross, wide receiver Domenik Hixon and running back Danny Ware -- will sit out.

Bradshaw had missed the last two days of practice due to injuries to his right foot and ankle and also had worn a boot on the foot. But Coughlin said Bradshaw looked good Friday in limited action at practice and, when asked if he would play, said "there's a good chance. We will see."

Canty, Ware and Ross all missed practice Friday, while Hixon participated on a limited basis. Rookie linebacker Clint Sintim also was limited and is questionable.

Back