Hey everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I appreciate the informative reply - particularly in regards to packaging the cards. Now that you mention all the possible ways that the cards can get damaged in transit... is humidity ever something that gets accounted for? Or is it too minor an issue to deal with?

Is there some sort of standardized grading scale for the condition of cards? I had seen a loose one before for a card game I used to play called Magic the Gathering, wondering if there's something similar for trading cards.
Humidity, not so much, but water is bad...very very bad. Plastic wrapping helps keep cards safe from minor incidental rain or snow damage to packaging.

As far as grading: Yep, cards are "condition sensitive", meaning a perfect card may sell for $100 but a card bent in half is basically garbage material.

The only times severely damaged cards are still valued is when the card is highly sought after, like the baseball cards from the early 1900's or a modern "star" auto. Most autographed cards today retail for a couple of bucks at best, so if they are bent in half they could never be sold.

That said, if you're a collector and you like the card, keep it. Who knows...maybe a hundred years from now someone will see it and pay ten...twenty bucks for it. Then again, a hundred years from now twenty bucks would only get you a "penny candy" anyway so...

This one thread just gave me a ton of info. So far this site seems to attract only the good guys. I have no problem sending first anyway. Looking to do my first trade soon.

Humidity, not so much, but water is bad...very very bad. Plastic wrapping helps keep cards safe from minor incidental rain or snow damage to packaging.

As far as grading: Yep, cards are "condition sensitive", meaning a perfect card may sell for $100 but a card bent in half is basically garbage material.

The only times severely damaged cards are still valued is when the card is highly sought after, like the baseball cards from the early 1900's or a modern "star" auto. Most autographed cards today retail for a couple of bucks at best, so if they are bent in half they could never be sold.

That said, if you're a collector and you like the card, keep it. Who knows...maybe a hundred years from now someone will see it and pay ten...twenty bucks for it. Then again, a hundred years from now twenty bucks would only get you a "penny candy" anyway so...

Ah - yeah, I definitely figured that the condition of the card would matter a lot. I recall the Magic cards I used to deal with... they had this black border around the edge of the card. The difference between "mint" and "near mint" was literally flecks of the ink that would chip off through regular handling of the cards. This minor discrepancy would often mean 15-20% of the worth of the card. It was pretty outrageous.

This one thread just gave me a ton of info. So far this site seems to attract only the good guys. I have no problem sending first anyway. Looking to do my first trade soon.
I've learned a ton too. It's great to come in to a community and see so much support for "newbie" questions. The fact that I'm even able to participate in a conversation like this in a welcome thread is amazing. Most forums I attend, the welcome section is pretty much a wasteland with no appreciable worth at all.

Welcome to SCC nonsiccus! Bure was a fav. of mine also back in the 90's, still have a lot of his cards if you need any, lmk, plus lmk what your looking for in Hockey and maybe I can help you with a nice starter lot of newer product of the Team you like, I'm always looking for older 90s Red Wings that I don't have!

Welcome to SCC nonsiccus! Bure was a fav. of mine also back in the 90's, still have a lot of his cards if you need any, lmk, plus lmk what your looking for in Hockey and maybe I can help you with a nice starter lot of newer product of the Team you like, I'm always looking for older 90s Red Wings that I don't have!
I don't have much in the way of cards. My old collection from my childhood has long since disappeared. I'm sure they're kicking around somewhere, I would just have no idea where. Probably at my parent's place if I were to guess.

Might be worth taking a look for when I have some spare time.

I don't have much in the way of cards. My old collection from my childhood has long since disappeared. I'm sure they're kicking around somewhere, I would just have no idea where. Probably at my parent's place if I were to guess.

Might be worth taking a look for when I have some spare time.
I've heard many a story like yours.

Here's what happens next:

You call up your parents and mention the cards. They say those were tossed out years ago. You tell the forum. We all moan in despair. The end.

Yeah, seen it before...too many times...:eek:

I've heard many a story like yours.

Here's what happens next:

You call up your parents and mention the cards. They say those were tossed out years ago. You tell the forum. We all moan in despair. The end.

Yeah, seen it before...too many times...:eek:
You know, I think they would ask me before throwing that out. They asked me when they dug out some of my childhood drawings. I don't mean like, first drawing with house and flowers and stuff... but like doodles and such from when I was 10 or so. It was tucked in among sappy love notes that I was exchanging with my crush and stuff like that haha.

I should go rummaging around and see if I can find anything.

It's not easy to say, but the more active people here tend to trade/sell/buy Racing and Hockey, from what I can tell. There's also people interested in Baseball and Football, and other sports and non-sports, so there's no real single type of card collector here....but I'm rather new myself, having only been here a month or two. During that time I did make a couple trades, but I've also noticed a lot of hesitations too, where there may be interest but no actual action taken on things....kinda like "window-gazing" at stuff in someone's store lol
Personally, I'm into collecting Basketball cards. I love the sport so I know the teammates so it follows I would collect those. What about the WNBA? Are there cards out there with those teams on them? I better check it out!

Personally, I'm into collecting Basketball cards. I love the sport so I know the teammates so it follows I would collect those. What about the WNBA? Are there cards out there with those teams on them? I better check it out!
Not from what I've seen.

I did post autos I have of Carol Blazekowski here:

http://www.sportscardclub.com/threads/my-basketball-racing-hockey-autos.427318/

They are the first two pics. The scans suck, as the 'graphs are barely visible on 'em. They are done with silver marker on a green background. The gold image of her face is embossed. It's from the 90's.

closing out this thread... this forum is for the introduction of ROOKIES.

additional "chit-chat" can be taken to PMs or moved to the either the General Chat or Card Chat forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back