Basketball Larry Bird Auto

Cameron Jacobs

Bench Warmer
I bought a Larry Bird autographed card, and I kind of wanted to authenticate it, but I don't want to send it off to someone. What do I do?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

if you dont want to send it out, which is what i think you should do, you'll have to find an autograph authentication service locally. It's pretty difficult to find these services. My advice is to send it to either Beckett or PSA to get it authenticated as these are the most recognized authentication services in the industry.

can you post a scan of the card? i can tell you if it might be a fake or not. there are certain qualities that the larry bird autograph contains.

there are essentially two styles of larry bird autos. the first "version" is the most common. this auto features the "L" in Larry as what is known as a "single loop" meaning that the top portion of the "L" is open and the bottom portion is fully looped.
The second "version" is more uncommon. This version features what is called a "double looped" auto where the "L" is looped on both the top and bottom of the letter "L" in Larry. Almost ALWAYS on a bird auto is the loop on the bottom of the letter "B" in bird. The lower right hand side of the "B" is where this loop should be spotted. I hope this will help you in determining weather to have it authenticated or not. I recommend that you just go ahead and send it in. Larry Bird is among some of the most commonly forged autos.

hu2upu6a.jpg

That's the card, if you can tell me if you believe it's fake, please do.

This auto contains quite a few inconsistencies. 1. Bird wouldn't underline his first name with the letter "Y" like that, at least not from all of the bird autos iv'e seen. 2. The loop in the letter "L" comes to a defined point at the bottom of the loop. This is also not in line with what bird would do. In my opinion, you should send this card in and get it authenticated. It just doesn't seem totally right to me. Having said that, I could be wrong but it is still a good idea to get professional authentication of these cards. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

I thought the exact same thing about it, that's why I questioned it. The sad thing about it, I bought it from someone I thought was well respected.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I think you should Google search, whichever search engine you use, and find a card collector and autograph expert nearest you. Then at your earliest convenience go to the establishment in person.

Back