Might be early but here is my outlook for the Dodgers next season.

vetsgt02

Bench Warmer
I know it is early but this is what I do as a Dodger fan to keep interested during our offseason. ANy thoughts are welcome

Here is what we look like so far all these players are currently under contract for next season:

C - Russell Martin - $500K+
C - Danny Ardoin - $400K
1B - James Loney - $411K
2B - Blake DeWitt - $400K
SS - Chin-Lung Hu - $400K
3B -
IF - Tony Abreu - $400K
IF -
LF - Juan Pierre - $10MM
CF - Matt Kemp - $406K
RF - Andre Ethier - $425K+
OF - Andruw Jones - $15MM
OF - Delwyn Young - $400K

SP - Chad Billingsley - $415K
SP - Hiroki Kuroda - $10MM
SP - Clayton Kershaw - $400K
SP - Jason Schmidt - $12MM
SP - James McDonald - $400K

RP - Takashi Saito - $2MM+
RP - Jonathan Broxton - $454K+
RP - Hong-Chih Kuo - $400K
RP - Cory Wade - $400K
RP - Scott Proctor - $1.115MM+
RP - Ramon Troncoso - $400K
RP - Yhency Brazoban - $540K+

Buyouts: Brad Penny - $2MM, Gary Bennett - $50K

Outfeild:
Ok white sox have shown interest in Pierre but the Dodgers want to wait until they see what happens with Manny first to make sure they are not left short in the OF and have to bring Adrew Lambo up from AAA before he is ready. Surprise no one wants Jones accept get this Atlanta might be willing to take him if the Dodgers half his salery. That would leave us with only 2 outfeilders though and would force them to bring up Lambo.

3rd:
Rumer has them going after Beltre and bringing him back. Personally I would rather keep Casey Blake. Also heard something about brining Crede over in the Perre trade but I think that when trading perre we need to try and get some good AA prospects that can build we might find a steal like we did with Ethier (got him staright up for Milton Bradley).

SS:

Furcal wants to stay and the Dodgers want to keep him his is a locked deal just have to work out money but that should be easy (he said he will give the Dodgers a discount)

SP:

This is a major need for us and they are working on Peavy but the Padres want to wait until the winter meetings to do a trade so they can research prospects. The Dodgers are thinking about brining in Randy Johnson (might help Kershaw develop and they are going to run after CC. I also hope they go after Oliver Perez (27)

Closer: I have not heard anything about this and I think Krod is getting left out to dry to manny big names out there he might not get as much as he was hoping.

In the wings (prospects)

OF Andrew lambo is aa beast and he could be brought up but it will be hard on him playing a full major league season
3rd Brian Mathews This kids is young and has the potential to be a David Wright type hitter with a golden glove

Stay tned for more I am getting my research together.

Last edited by a moderator:
:pray: please take Beltre back :pray:

Ya I do not want him back or Crede but for some reason those two keep poping up. Personaly I say resign Casey Blake he will not cost big money but plays really well and then we could spend our money somewhere more important like pitching.

Outfeild:
Ok white sox have shown interest in Pierre but the Dodgers want to wait until they see what happens with Manny first to make sure they are not left short in the OF and have to bring Adrew Lambo up from AAA before he is ready.
Pierre needs to be moved at any cost. The Dodgers need to go balls out for Manny. And Andrew Lambo had all of 36 ABs in AA, which is where he could start. He won't be big-league ready for a couple of years, at least.

Will address the rest later.

Pierre needs to be moved at any cost. The Dodgers need to go balls out for Manny. And Andrew Lambo had all of 36 ABs in AA, which is where he could start. He won't be big-league ready for a couple of years, at least.

Will address the rest later.

I agree on Lambo I hope he does not get brought up until like 2010 but I have been ready talk that if he has a strong Spring he could get a shot. Might just be talk to drive up his draft price though

I agree on Lambo I hope he does not get brought up until like 2010 but I have been ready talk that if he has a strong Spring he could get a shot. Might just be talk to drive up his draft price though
Not sure what that has to do with anything. :scratch:

Lambo could be the next great hitter to come through the Dodger organization, with the proper upbringing.

3rd:
Rumer has them going after Beltre and bringing him back. Personally I would rather keep Casey Blake. Also heard something about brining Crede over in the Perre trade but I think that when trading perre we need to try and get some good AA prospects that can build we might find a steal like we did with Ethier (got him staright up for Milton Bradley).
I wouldn't mind bringing Beltre back. The Dodgers were interested in him at the deadline, but apparently he has a no-trade clause to the Dodgers (weird). He'd have to waive it to return to LA. He only has one year left on his deal and I'm sure the Dodgers wouldn't want to take on all the cost ($12M).

Crede is a free agent, but I'd still like to see Pierre moved to the White Sox (or Brewers). Crede can't stay healthy, but he has a solid glove at 3B and some pop in his bat. He might be worth a look, depending on what the Dodgers do with the rest of the off-season.

SS:

Furcal wants to stay and the Dodgers want to keep him his is a locked deal just have to work out money but that should be easy (he said he will give the Dodgers a discount)
I'd gladly welcome Furcal back. He's the best option for the Dodgers. If the Dodgers had another leadoff guy, it'd be easier to lose him. He is the second-most important FA the Dodgers have.

SP:

This is a major need for us and they are working on Peavy but the Padres want to wait until the winter meetings to do a trade so they can research prospects. The Dodgers are thinking about brining in Randy Johnson (might help Kershaw develop and they are going to run after CC. I also hope they go after Oliver Perez (27)
The Dodgers won't trade with the Padres on a trade of this magnitude. It would cost Kemp/McDonald and another pitching prospect to get Peavy. And realistically, the Padres would try to squeeze even more out of the Dodgers.

Johnson finished strong and would be worth it on a one-year deal, if the money wasn't too much. Of course, Sabathia is the prize of the FA market. I've heard a few times the Dodgers are his No. 1 choice, but we'll see what happens. It's going to be awfully tough to re-sign Manny and bring in Sabathia, though. Pass on Perez. He has great stuff, but his control has never been there.

The Dodgers have to decide what they're going to do with their own pitchers. Derek Lowe is likely gone (he'll get a nice deal from another team) and I'm not sure they'll pickup Penny's reasonable option. Depends what happens, I guess.

Closer: I have not heard anything about this and I think Krod is getting left out to dry to manny big names out there he might not get as much as he was hoping.
I don't want Rodriguez anywhere near the Dodger bullpen. The guy is over-rated, no matter how many saves he racked up. He's piled up a lot of innings as the closer, and he's due for an injury. Stay clear of him. I'd rather bring back Saito (who was one of the best before he got hurt) or go with Broxton. But the Dodger pen will be strong with the young guys anchoring it (Kuo, Wade, Broxton).

In the wings (prospects)

OF Andrew lambo is aa beast and he could be brought up but it will be hard on him playing a full major league season
3rd Brian Mathews This kids is young and has the potential to be a David Wright type hitter with a golden glove
Like I said earlier, Lambo is still at least two years away. He'll likely start 2009 at AA, but I don't think the Dodgers will rush the kid.

To be honest, I don't know anything about Mathews. I'll have to look him up. The Dodgers have a slew of solid 3B prospects, though: Josh Bell, Pedro Baez and Austin Gallagher.

James McDonald, Lambo, Ivan DeJesus and Scott Elbert top the Dodgers' list of prospects. Of the four, all but Lambo should see time in the bigs this year -- especially McDonald and Elbert.

The Dodgers have a lot of work to do this off-season. Here's hoping they make some smart moves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who was the last one?
Oh Mike, I can always count on you for that witty, fun commentary. :p

Perhaps I should have said "the next great hitting prospect," as James Loney, Matt Kemp, Russell Martin and Andre Ethier (acquired from the A's) have all had their fair share of success in the bigs thus far.

Loney is the best hitter to come through the Dodger system since Mike Piazza. He doesn't have Piazza's power, but he has the ability to hit the ball to all fields and should develop 20-HR power.

Back