Baseball Monte Irvin: VERY COOL STORY

ac-n-mike

Bench Warmer
OK, first off excuse me in advance if this is "common knowledge" to baseball fans etc... BUT today I went to lunch with my wifes family and to my suprise learned a bit about baseball history....please excuse my ignorance...lol

My wifes grandmother told me that an old baseball player just moved into her community (she lives in an assisted living faciality) His first name is Monte and he used to play with the Dodgers.

Well at the table I googled "Monte Dodgers" and was AMAZED to find to who this gentlemen was... NOT ONLY was he "just an old baseball player", but he was nealy a VERY significant part of not only BASEBALL, but U.S. History.

He was drafted by the Dodgers in 1945 nearly TWO YEAR before Jackie Robinson was drafted and played for the Dodgers. Monte felt that he was NOT at his best level and declined the invitation (he had just gotten back from a Army deployment) Mr Irvin could very well be the person/icon we now know as "Jackie Robinson"

Any way... I feel pretty dumb for not knowing about him and wanted to share this with everyone.... My wifes grandmother is pretty freindly and I would be SHOCKED if she didnt ask him for something for me LOL BUT heck I would be happy to talk to the guy instead of bothering him for an auto...MAN can you imagine the stories this gentleman has? WOW VERY cool

a few sites/info about MR Monte Irvin

The Official Site of Monte Irvin

Monte Irvin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2db1ook.jpg

21f0d3m.jpg

That is something kool to know, Think if he had done what Jackie did....there would've been a Monte Irving Day in baseball....

THANKS FOR READING guys...very cool We are going to see my wife grandmother tomorrow and have lunch with her and Mr Irvin... CANT wait to hear some stories...VERY cool!

Back