New Rule for Point Auctions

Many people use the Ebay Sell Value since a card in beckett can book for 120 and sell for 20 bucks, when another card that books for 60 sells for 80, they arent that up to date..

Agree, and I tend to that as well. I've long said that Beckett, instead of having a Hi/Lo value, should change it to Sell/Trade value. I think that would be much more accurate in today's market. Very, very rarely will you find a card that actually sells for the perceived high value. But now we're getting into a whole new conversation about sell value versus trade value.

No, misunderstood me. If Im trading something that has a 50 SV, than my trade value is 50 SV. So there is no distinguishing between SV and TV. To me, they are the same and thats what I will always go by.

just to throw a little new guy perspective in here.
i can understand the basis between trading at beckett book value. if backett says its worth 50 then i would like to get beckett bv50 in exchange. or reasonably close. i also can understand that if i bought a card at a trade show for $50 then i would want to trade that for a card i would be willing to pay $50 for.
but when it comes to points. i dont really understand how to put a value on them. i know that i dont, at this time have enough points to enter into a points auction, but when i do, how do i value them?
i know i can use the points for addons. is there a cash price to point price equation in the cost of an addon?
i personally feel that if i knew that information i could better know how to bid on a card(s). or if it is worth the price of an addon or would i be better served saving for an auction.

just my thoughts,
Brendan

That's what I'm trying to say. ^ Brendan used better wording than I did. And J.R., if that works for you, great, but for most of us that don't or can't spend the amount of cash that you do on cards, we have to differentiate between sell value and trade value. I have a very nice Leftwich patch /50 that has a beckett value of $50 - but I know I'd be lucky to get $10 if I sold it right now. But my trade value is still $50. Basically I go by what Beckett says because they are the "bible" of values. The common, low-end traders like myself have nothing else to go by. Ebay tends to distort values because people want to buy what's hot, and that kills the regular collectors like me.

TribeBuckeyeFan said:
That's what I'm trying to say. ^ Brendan used better wording than I did. And J.R., if that works for you, great, but for most of us that don't or can't spend the amount of cash that you do on cards, we have to differentiate between sell value and trade value. I have a very nice Leftwich patch /50 that has a beckett value of $50 - but I know I'd be lucky to get $10 if I sold it right now. But my trade value is still $50. Basically I go by what Beckett says because they are the "bible" of values. The common, low-end traders like myself have nothing else to go by. Ebay tends to distort values because people want to buy what's hot, and that kills the regular collectors like me.

Ebay does not distort values. Values are what the market dictates and ebay is one of the biggest markets out there. Beckett is what distorts values. For example take 2004 Legends Football. Most of the SP autos were selling 2-3 times beckett hi value. Do you think beckett raised the values much? No they kept them where they were or raised them slighlty, made no sense but that's what BECKETT decided was proper values, well if that;s the case then lets see them sell cards at their values as opposed to ebay values. Guarantee they wouldn;t do it as most wouldn;t sell, and a small percentage they wouldn;t list knowing they could get more on ebay. Sorry for the rant but EBAY is the MOST accurate guide to values on cards,
Kris

I agree that Ebay is more accurate then beckett. But Ebay isn't right always either. I know shops that day in and day out sell stuff at the prices that they want to and not ebay prices. 90% of those prices are based on beckett. (Shops are old school). Also Ebay prices change daily and sometimes alot. They are affected by tons of different factors as well. Nothing is 100% accurate but right now searching ebay completed auctions and averaging out all of the logical prices seems to be the best.

Back