Football Police called to search for Vince Young

bhelser

Bench Warmer
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Nashville police were asked to search for Vince Young on Monday evening after family members placed a call to the Tennessee Titans informing them of their concern about the quarterback's state of mind.

According to Nashville Metro Police spokesman Don Aaron, Young "abruptly" left his home in Williamson County about 7 p.m. Monday without his cell phone. Those with him at his home, including family members, were "concerned with his emotional well-being," Aaron said.

Police issued a bulletin to all on-duty officers to be on the lookout for Young, and negotiators were placed on standby, a procedure that is common in such situations, Aaron said.

Someone contacted coach Jeff Fisher out of concern for Young, and Fisher contacted the police department, police said.

"Not having all the facts available to us and approaching the matter prudently, we contacted Metro Police to make them aware of the situation and asked for their assistance in locating Vince," the Titans said in a statement Tuesday. "He was located at a friend's house, where we made contact with him.

"He then came to the practice facility, where it was determined that those initial concerns by his friends and family were unfounded and he returned home without incident," the Titans said.

Young left the facility by himself in his own vehicle after speaking with Fisher and officers, police said.

Details were first reported on the Web site of WKRN-TV in Nashville, an ABC affiliate.

Later Tuesday, Young's agent told The Associated Press there was no need for concern because Young had been at a friend's house watching football and eating chicken wings.

"When people were worried about him, I was on the phone talking to him," agent Major Adams said. "I didn't know there was any confusion about where he was as if he was missing or whatever. He just said, 'Hey, I'm over here watching the game.' … Then I start getting all these frantic calls."

Adams spoke while on his way to learn the test results on Young's knee, AP reported. Young hurt his knee in Sunday's season opener.

Aaron said there was an unloaded handgun in the glove compartment of Young's vehicle. But as it is not against the law in Tennessee to transport an unloaded firearm with no ammunition present, it was not an issue for the police department, he said. He could not say whether the gun was registered because it was not traced.

Young was booed in Sunday's victory over Jacksonville and did not finish the game because of an injury to his left knee. The Titans are expected to reveal results of an MRI on the knee sometime Tuesday, and possibly a timetable for the quarterback's return. Fisher said Monday that it's not believed to be a season-ending injury, and ESPN's Chris Mortensen has reported Young will miss two to four weeks.

After throwing an interception in the fourth quarter, Young was late to join the offense for its next series, creating speculation that he tried to take himself out of the game after throwing what was his second pick. He sat on the bench after that interception, seemingly unmoved by players and coaches who tried to console him, often holding his head in his hands.

Fisher explained Monday that the issue was tightness in Young's hamstring and that there wasn't clear communication on the sideline about his ability to return to the field. Young did return, but he injured his knee four plays later.

Veteran Kerry Collins is the only other quarterback on the roster, but the Titans worked out Quinn Gray on Tuesday. The team also was looking at QB Joey Harrington and a handful of receivers, including Glenn Martinez and Chad Jackson.

The Titans are expected to sign free-agent quarterback Chris Simms, a team source told Mortensen.

Simms is flying to Nashville on Tuesday night after visiting Kansas City earlier in the day.

Im still lost with this situation, hes still out for nearly a month with his knee injury but I think collins is better than him, but Im a VY Hater so dont take my bias.

Back