Football Two Quick Questions

ITryToFly

Bench Warmer
Im a student at Appalachian State University. I recently picked up a Brian Quick (App State WR projected to go late 2nd early 3rd round in this year's draft) printing plate. I was wondering if it would increase or decrease the value of this card if I asked him to sign it and got a picture of both of us with the card?

Also as I have been out of the hobby for about four years: What is everyone doing now that beckett charges for online card values? Are people paying for use of the website, buying the magazines, using another company or just selling cards for what people are willing to pay/how much they are going for on ebay?

If it were me I would have him sign it and keep it. It prob won't increase the value any if you have him sign it even with a picture. A lot of folks send their cards to psa to have the autographed authenticated but even after doing so they're still not worth as much as the same players pack pulled autograph. Here is an example of a psa authenticated auto:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Topps-...0894737314?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c25e34ba2

As for your second question people are torn. Some people pay the 6.75 per month for beckett and others (like myself) try to find a current value. A lot of times that relies on eBay's past sale prices of the item in question but that's not always an accurate mark for a cards true value. I like to several of the same items and shoot for the median but with rarer cards that can be hard to do. You will see a lot of people say they trade by bv (book value) while others trade by sv (sell value) and you might even see tv (trade value) which is kind of a combination of them both.
My advice would be to take your time and try and find a happy medium. Obviously you don't want to trade for a card that books for 150 but sells for 15 and vice versa. It sure would be nice if bv and sv were the same!

Hope that helps and welcome to the site!

Back