Football Jerry Rice is #1...but who are the other GREATEST receivers of ALL-TIME ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ac-n-mike said:
not sure I agree with that...

Jerry Rice played with Joe Montana and Steve Young... 2 of the best QB's of ALL-TIME

cant use that as a reason that Harrison is NOT in the TOP 10...

I dont think... ;)

Right,but name another WR Young/Montana made into an elite WR.

Manning made Harrison,he's made Wayne,and if he can stay in one piece long enough,he was making Collie a star

you saying JJ Stokes wasnt an elite receiver ;) LOL! I kid I kid

and there was that TO guy that someone mentioned above... but did he play with Young a lot or was that more Jeff Garcia and other QB's?

I can never argue any of this...Different Era = different rules and styles of play...Rice #1 Harrision #2...Thats as far as I can go....Harrison came into the league in 1994...Rice played then also...They both benefited from the new rules for half of their career

I hate hearing this QB stuff...Look at T.O and the talk of his drops...A WR makes himself good...not the QB...Does the QB run his route, get open, and catch the ball? No....Theres a reason Manning went/goes to Wayne and Harrison....Because he knows they are free of defenders and can catch the ball...

One of my all time favorites is Herman Moore, had some of the worst QB's in the NFL and still put up great numbers and was often overlooked for the Pro Bowl. I agree with Rice, and for my lifetime of watching, Tim Brown, Lofton, Monk and Largent (and that is just off the top of my head) and also Isaac Bruce makes my list.

Rod Smith and Herman Moore are the 2 most underrated receivers of all time that should be within top echelon of receivers.

HiEnd said:
Right,but name another WR Young/Montana made into an elite WR.Manning made Harrison,he's made Wayne,and if he can stay in one piece long enough,he was making Collie a star

Not elite career wise but Dwight Clark and John Taylor each had a number of impressive seasons.

jackson0114 said:
I hate hearing this QB stuff...Look at T.O and the talk of his drops...A WR makes himself good...not the QB...Does the QB run his route, get open, and catch the ball? No....Theres a reason Manning went/goes to Wayne and Harrison....Because he knows they are free of defenders and can catch the ball...

To some extent yes but a WR's success depends on the QB's ability to get them the ball. QB and WR are two positions that rely heavily on each other b/c one has to throw and the other has to catch.

FTR Regardless of what era....No chance I would take Harrison over Swann if even drafted today. Enough with the Marvin Harrison garbage. He would not last one season in the 70's

Receivers
1) Jerry Rice
2) Cris Carter
3) Tim Brown
4) Andre Reed
5) James Lofton
6) Fred Bilentikoff
7) Steve largent
8) Lance Alworth
9) Michael Irvin
10) Raymond Berry

Wide Receiver and Quarterback is a symbiotic relationship, just the same as QB and O-Line. A great quarterback can make a mediocre O-Line look great and a mediocre WR look great. Take that great quarterback and put him with a great wide receiver, they make each other look HOF-worthy.

If you're creating a list of top-10 receivers based on overall greatness and importance they played to the team, some of these lists are an absolute joke.

Lynn Swann may have been a great receiver, but it's not fair to anyone else on the list to talk about him for anything other than what he did. He was in a run-first offense in a run-first decade and his statistics suffered.

You can pick your poison and either call Swann a 4x Superbowl Champion or you can call him a top-10 receiver. You can't use selected logic when determining someone's worth. You can't say that IF they would've thrown the ball to him more, he would've accumulated the statistics because IF they would've thrown the ball to him more who knows if they would've won those championships.

If you're comparing players by era, of course he's one of the best receivers of the 70s. His inclusion as the number one receiver of the 70s probably has more to do with his Big-Game plays than anything else though.

Lynn Swann played 9 years, which isn't all that much compared to a lot of the guys out there. I'm not for rewarding longevity, unless it's productive longevity. Many receivers were productive well after 9 years.

Compare Swann's stats to Terrell Owens:

OWENS:

Top-10 Receiptions (3 times) Top-5 (2 times)
Top-10 Yards (3 times) Top-5 (2 times)
RecTD First(2 times), Top-5(5 times), Top-10, (7 times)

SWANN:
Top-10 Rec. (2), Top-5(0)
Top-10 Yards (3), Top-5(1)
First(1 time) Top-10 (3), Top-5(2),

This assumes that Terrell Owens retired at the exact same time as Lynn Swann and didn't compile any statistics after 2004. This isn't about counting stats, it's about how often you ranked inside the top-10.

You can look at Terrell's stats and say he accumulated them in a passing era and he did. However, he accumulated them at a greater rate than almost everyone else.

I don't even think Swann was the best receiver on the team! A healthy John Stallworth consistently put up great numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back