Football Pro Football HOF Thread

Today mail.

if sack stats would have been kept when he played, this would be your all-time sack leader.
Jones7of8.jpg

My latest pick-up which takes me to 50%:

scan0018-1.jpg

And Humphrey who finished w/ over 100 career sacks and has been a HOF SR. Candidate

scan0017-1.jpg

Nice pu's

Congrats on the 50% completion. That is quite an accomplishment in it's own right.It's different that some hof'er RC's are fairly cheap and then some others are just out of control high. Runs the entire gamut. You have a sweet collection going there!

OilMan said:
Nice pu's

Congrats on the 50% completion. That is quite an accomplishment in it's own right.It's different that some hof'er RC's are fairly cheap and then some others are just out of control high. Runs the entire gamut. You have a sweet collection going there!

Thanks Ron! You are 100% right about the gap between prices.

Who would you put in the HOF by position?

QB: Stabler, Anderson
RB: Anderson, Watters, Craig, Davis, Dillion
FB: Johnston
WR: Brown, Carter, Sharpe, Reed
TE: Sharpe, Jerry Smith
OL: Tyrer, Tinglehoff

DL: Culp, Doleman, McMichael, C.Simmons, Martin, Jones, Dent, J.Marshall, Humphrey
LB: Greene, Nickerson, Mills, M.Curtis, Nobis, C.Matthews, C.Bennett
CB: A.Williams, E.Allen
S: Atwater, D.Woodson

ST: Tasker

Out of the two QB's, i would go with Stabler..He should have already been in!

RB- Watters
WR- Carter & Brown
TE- Sharpe
OL- Tyrer
DL- Culp, Martin, Marshall
LB- Greene, Curtis, Nobis
CB- Niether
S- Both
Tasker for sure, You know how I feel about that one!...lol

In 1952, the 24-year-old Lane showed up at the Los Angeles Rams training camp looking for a job because he disliked his current occupation at an aircraft factory. He was originally trying out for end, but the Rams switched him to defensive back. While with the Rams, he acquired the nickname "Night Train" from a hit record by Buddy Morrow, frequently played by teammate Tom Fears. He initially disliked the nickname, but it grew on him after it gained national attention, first appearing in print describing a tackle in a Rams exhibition game: Dick "Night Train" Lane derails Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice. He wore number 81, unusual for a defensive back, because he was initially projected as an end. The ends playing in front of him on the Rams, Fears and Elroy Hirsch, were stars and future Hall of Famers, so coach Joe Stydahar tried Lane at defensive back. Lane also had a fear of flying, so he travelled by train.

In his rookie season he set an NFL single season record for interceptions with 14, which stands to this day even though the length of the season at the time was only 12 games (it was later expanded to 14 games in 1961 and 16 in 1978). He was traded to the Chicago Cardinals in 1954 and to the Detroit Lions in 1960. From 1954 to 1963, Lane made the All-Pro team six times and was also selected to seven Pro Bowls. He recorded three interceptions in all but four of his 14 NFL seasons.

He was particularly noted as a hard hitter, who liked to tackle opponents about the head and neck, which was then a legal technique. This tackle was sometimes called a Night Train Necktie.

YouTube - Dick Night Train Lane the greatest corner to ever play football

NightTrain19of25.jpg

OilMan said:
In 1952, the 24-year-old Lane showed up at the Los Angeles Rams training camp looking for a job because he disliked his current occupation at an aircraft factory. He was originally trying out for end, but the Rams switched him to defensive back. While with the Rams, he acquired the nickname "Night Train" from a hit record by Buddy Morrow, frequently played by teammate Tom Fears. He initially disliked the nickname, but it grew on him after it gained national attention, first appearing in print describing a tackle in a Rams exhibition game: Dick "Night Train" Lane derails Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice. He wore number 81, unusual for a defensive back, because he was initially projected as an end. The ends playing in front of him on the Rams, Fears and Elroy Hirsch, were stars and future Hall of Famers, so coach Joe Stydahar tried Lane at defensive back. Lane also had a fear of flying, so he travelled by train.

In his rookie season he set an NFL single season record for interceptions with 14, which stands to this day even though the length of the season at the time was only 12 games (it was later expanded to 14 games in 1961 and 16 in 1978). He was traded to the Chicago Cardinals in 1954 and to the Detroit Lions in 1960. From 1954 to 1963, Lane made the All-Pro team six times and was also selected to seven Pro Bowls. He recorded three interceptions in all but four of his 14 NFL seasons.

He was particularly noted as a hard hitter, who liked to tackle opponents about the head and neck, which was then a legal technique. This tackle was sometimes called a Night Train Necktie.

YouTube - Dick Night Train Lane the greatest corner to ever play football

NightTrain19of25.jpg

Very cool Ron, can you tell if that's part of his name plate or number?

Lane is easily one of the top CB's to ever play the game. If I remember correctly he was larger than most DB's of the time.

OilMan said:
Out of the two QB's, i would go with Stabler..He should have already been in!

RB- Watters
WR- Carter & Brown
TE- Sharpe
OL- Tyrer
DL- Culp, Martin, Marshall
LB- Greene, Curtis, Nobis
CB- Niether
S- Both
Tasker for sure, You know how I feel about that one!...lol

I believe Tasker will get in one day. As time goes on the voters will see that he was a special player.

I forgot to add DE/OLB L.O'Neal and OLB Brazile to my list.

dfr52 said:
I believe Tasker will get in one day. As time goes on the voters will see that he was a special player.

I forgot to add DE/OLB L.O'Neal and OLB Brazile to my list.
I was only working with what i was presented..:D

You forgot Howley also, which him and Brazile deserve a lot of consideration.

O'Neal was great, but i'm not quite sure he sustained it long enough

*Night Train would come in offense when the he was with the Cardinals and caught 98 yd TD..Pass was about 35-40 yds, he did the rest.

dfr52 said:
Very cool Ron, can you tell if that's part of his name plate or number?Lane is easily one of the top CB's to ever play the game. If I remember correctly he was larger than most DB's of the time.
Not sure, but i think it has to be part of a number, i don't think the names were on the back yet at this point.

I remember watching Mike Curtis as a kid...That cat was just "Mean"...Played with all sorts of injuries too, that todays player would not play with.

OilMan said:
I was only working with what i was presented..:D

You forgot Howley also, which him and Brazile deserve a lot of consideration.

O'Neal was great, but i'm not quite sure he sustained it long enough

*Night Train would come in offense when the he was with the Cardinals and caught 98 yd TD..Pass was about 35-40 yds, he did the rest.

Good call on Howley. I read some where that the Cowboys will have to wait a few years since Wright and Hayes got in recently.

Brazile or Culp should be in to represent thos Oilers teams of the 70's/

His stats are pretty impressive over the course of his career: Leslie O'Neal NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

He had 10 or more sacks 8/13 seasons.

Lane was a special athlete in the mold of J.Brown and others that were ahead of their time.

OilMan said:
Not sure, but i think it has to be part of a number, i don't think the names were on the back yet at this point.

That's a good question, I wonder when names appeared.

Back