The HOF Rookie Card Thread

rexvos

Bench Warmer
Just going to post random HOF rookie cards in this thread, and then say something about the card just to post in this forum.

I am starting this card out with the Tyler Rose.

ecampbell79tpsa9.jpg

Why Earl do you say? This was the only card issued of him during his playing career. He did not sign a deal with Topps so after 1979 his image could not appear on any card. That messed up a lot of stuff for Topps. Each year they put out team leaders cards they had to put in another category to replace rushing for the Oilers, also they could not picture Campbell on their league leaders cards. So for a few years they could not have Rushing leaders as a category for this popular subset.

This Campbell is one of the most sought after high grade card of the late 70s if not the most sought after.

Here is another entry.

Another card from my youth. I could not tell you how excited I was to find out he finally had a card made. The first New Orleans Saints Hall of Famer. He should have had a card 2 years before this one as he was a dominant force when he entered the league. The only man that could eat Popeyes fried chicken with a broken jaw.

The Great Rickey Jackson

rjacksonpsa9rook.jpg

Not long ago this guy held all of the big career receiving records. In my opinion still the greatest Seahawk of all time. The great Steve Largent.

slargent77tpsa9.jpg

Next entry. Actually got this card in today (11/8/2010)

Nicknamed the Manster (half man - half monster) he won co-mvp alongside Harvey Martin in their crushing defeat of the Broncos in Superbowl XII. Then he went on to dominate the 80s as he was voted the starting DT on the team of the decade.

1976 Topps Randy White

rwhite1976tpsa9.jpg

The next entry is probably the most under appreciated HOFer in recent history. This guy dominated the mid to late 80s. Smashing the rookie rushing record and following up the next season by setting the single season rushing record with over 2100 yards. His straight up rushing style and incredible speed set him apart from eveyone in his era. Also the starting runningback along with Walter Payton on the all 1980s decade team

The Great Eric Dickerson

edickerson84tpsa9.jpg

Time for an entry from my hometown and my alma mater. Ronnie Lott tells the best stories about him. He was traded to the 9ers in the middle of Lott's rookie year. They are playing the Cowboys he terrorizes Danny White for 4 sacks, the best part was that while the rest of the defense was gamplanning at half time Fred was sitting in the corner smoking cigarettes. Ronnie summed it up by saying James Dean was not cooler than Fred Dean. His presence helped propel upstart San Fran to their first Super Bowl and helped anchor the defense for a 2nd a couple years later.

1978 Topps Fred Dean

fdean78tpsa9.jpg

The starting tight end on the all 60s team (beating out fellow hofer Mike Ditka), and one of the favorite targets of Johnny Unitas. He was the first ever big play threat at the tight end position, and is considered the prototype for stars like Kellen Winslow, Shannon Sharpe and Antonio Gates. The only knock on him was that he caught the ball with his body and not his hands. He made up for it with what he did with the ball after he caught it.

1964 Philadelphia John Mackey

jmackey64phillypsa8.jpg

The heart of the New York Giants Defense during their glory years (pre Parcells). Feared tackler who went on to star for the Washington Redsins as well in his HOF career. A member of the all decade team of the 1950s, and played in an era where you made as much money in your off season job as you did playing football.

1959 Topps Sam Huff

shuff59tpsa7.jpg

Today's edition was known both as the Mad Stork and Kick em in the Head Ted. He terrorized offenses for 4 Super Bowl winners. He also was voted to the starting defense for both the Team of the 1970s and the 1980s.

One of the true characters of the game

1972 Topps Ted Hendricks

thendricks73tpsa8.jpg

Back