The HOF Rookie Card Thread

time to bring this thread out of retirment with The Diesel. The only feature runningback I remember watching that got better with age. He will always be loved by Redskins fans for 70 Chip. He will best be remembered by me when he told Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Conner - "loosen up Sandy" while drunk at a black tie event in Washington. The only non lineman member of the Hogs.

The one and only John Riggins!

jriggins72tpsa8.jpg

Called the greatest football player ever by Dr.Z. Motley got a late start due to injury and war service but quickly became the most dominant back in pro football. He had a rare combination of speed, agility, talent for a man that was 6'1" and 230lbs. In most cases he was nearly as big or bigger than most of the lineman of his generation. Motley excelled as a rusher, receiver, blocker, and as a LB on defense.

Marion Motley 1950 Bowman

scan0005-15.jpg

Called the greatest football player ever by Dr.Z. Motley got a late start due to injury and war service but quickly became the most dominant back in pro football. He had a rare combination of speed, agility, talent for a man that was 6'1" and 230lbs. In most cases he was nearly as big or bigger than most of the lineman of his generation. Motley excelled as a rusher, receiver, blocker, and as a LB on defense.

Marion Motley 1950 Bowman

scan0005-15.jpg
great Card! welcome to TCG:salut::salut::salut:

One the NFL's first dominant DE's (if not the first).

Ford started his career in the AAFC w/ the L.A. Don's in 1948 where he played End on offense and defense. Ford was a solid receiver posting over 1,000 yards and 8 TD's in the two seasons with the Dons (he also had 2 INT's on defense).

When Ford came to the Browns in 1950 P.Brown had him concentrate on defense because of his talents at the DE position. Ford was known as an outstanding defender who was nearly impossible to block as a passer rusher b/c of his size, strength, and speed.

Sadly Ford passed away in his 40's.

1955 Bowman Len Ford

scan0007-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
my turn. This player was the major force responsible for a play that kick-started a dynasty. Throw in a Super Bowl MVP, over 10k rushing yards, and 4 Super Bowl Rings and you have a sure fire first ballot Hall of Famer. I would be remiss if I did not mention he also had his own Italian army backing him up.

1973 Topps Franco Harris

fharris73tpsa8.jpg

The greatest QB in Bears history, Luckman won 4 League Championships and was named All Pro 5 times in his career. Luckman was converted from a single-wing tailback to a T-Formation QB by G.Halas. He is regarded as the first great T formation QB. Luckman lead the Bears to a 73-0 beating of Baugh's redskins.

1948 Leaf Sid Luckman:

scan0002-6.jpg

I'll take a turn:

Drafted by the Browns in the 7th round, Bobby Mitchell began his career alongside arguably the best running back in NFL history, Jim Brown. Three years later he was traded to the Redskins where he was converted to a flanker, where he earned three straight trips to the Pro Bowl, and led the league in receiving yards in two of those year. He is also one of the most dynamic kick returners in history.

1959 Topps Bobby Mitchell:

1959ToppsBobbyMitchellPSA8.jpg

A recent pick-up:

A 4x Pro Bowler and 4x All Pro Tackle for the Bears who excelled on both sides of the ball. Stydar won multiple championships w/ the Bears as a player and one w/ the Rams as a Head Coach. Stydahar was inducted to the HOF in 1967.

Joe Stydahar 1952 Bowman Small

scan0001-20.jpg

Back